Quitting Our Jobs and Heading to Colorado: Year in Review, Part II

When our lease ended, it didn't take long for us to begin making lists of places we wanted to move to. Our conversion at this point consisted of taking the furniture we owned and bungee cording it to the bus walls. We had a wooden dresser, a full book shelf, bikes, skis, and could only put the bed in the middle of the bus over the wheel wells. We donated what we considered all the non-essentials, but still had a mountain of things that needed to be organized an put away. But, we were elated with the freedom, and hope for the future in our new home! 

I frequently stood pondering where to put things that we didn't have room for. Overhead storage filled up quick.

Adventure was scratching at our door, so just a month after moving into our new home, we quit our jobs, and headed for Colorado. Cody had no money, and I had a bit, but I don't recall that being a huge factor in our decision making. It was time to take advantage of this new "bus life" thing we had just entered into. 

The porcelain dishes rattled heinously, and the silver wear was so heavy that the drawers rolled out and slammed back around corners. In fact, all the drawers did that. The bed slid around, and items would topple out from the overhead storage. But, I would just get up from the bench and put them away - letting Cody know if something valuable broke or not. 

We left in late May, and as we got to Wyoming, we realized we didn't have air conditioning. I had an industrial sized floor fan that operated at such high power, it would drain our solar powered battery in about 2 hours. I figured we would only use it in emergencies. It's always good to be prepared. Drink water if you're hot. 

The town we had decided on moving to was Boulder, CO. All we knew about the town is that it was frequently featured in cycling magazines as a place to go. It took us two days to realize that what we had thought it to be was completely wrong. Wrong for us. Too many Teslas and Whole Foods Markets is all. Some dumb bitch cut me off three separate times in a grocery store. Now, that is just one example of the obliviousness of that town. I'm sure there are awesome people there too, but they must have been out of town that week. 

Sitting and having a beer, we discussed the issue. Do we try and make it work for a year? Are we being to quick to judge? And, if we do go, where would be go from here? It was $500 in gas to get here, and we can't afford to just go back. The further into the beer we got, the more we realized that we needed to leave in the morning. We decided to just head west, and see what we ran in to. 

Ah, yes. So, one of the preparations we did make for our new lifestyle was a portable toilet, so I could fulfill my neurotic tendency of peeing 3 times a night, without of having to squat in a parking lot. It consists of two separate chambers: the pee collecting bowl, and when you flush, you open a hatch for it to descend into the collection tank. It can be a bit teeter-y, but with practice I was able to get the job done as Cody drove.

Now, as we drove west from Boulder, we gained some great elevation, and the air got cold, and thin. We worried about the bus on the big hills, but he handled so well. It was somewhere outside Vail that I need a pee break, but Cody didn't want to stop again. It's an ongoing problem of mine. I would need to go as we drove, and as I opened the hatch to flush as usual, I was instead met with an explosion of piss in my face. 

It was an excellent lesson in elevation pressure. Like when you have a bag of chips, and drive up a mountain, and you're like, hey, look how puffy this bag is! Except it is an pressurized piss tank, with a full bowl of golden fluid on top. It's hard to feel normal after that. 

We stopped shortly after that, so I could take a second to gather myself. As we ate grocery store fried chicken, we decided that the next town we would try would be Grand Junction. It was the last stop in Colorado and we weren't ready to leave the state just yet. We googled any climbing gym in town, and hours later, pulled into the Grand Valley Climbing lot.